Turnip, Chard and Bacon Hash
This recipe uses fresh spring produce, turnips and Swiss chard, to liven up your brunch routine. Don't eat bacon? See the recipe notes below for substitution suggestions.
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME30 mins
TOTAL TIME40 mins
YIELD: 4 people
- 1 pound turnips, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 strips thick cut bacon, (see recipe notes for substitutions)
- Salt and pepper, a generous pinch of each
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups Swiss chard, sliced into ribbons
- 4 large eggs
- 1 scallion, green parts only, chopped
- Hot sauce or homemade pesto, optional
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place turnips in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
Cut bacon into small strips, about 1/2 inch thick. Place the bacon in a cold, oven-proof skillet and set heat to medium-low. Cook bacon until almost crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving the fat in the pan, and set bacon aside in a large bowl.
Add the turnips to the pan and increase heat to medium. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, siring occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. When ready, remove turnips and set aside with the cooked bacon.
Now sauté the chard in the skillet until just wilted and bright green.
Add the bacon and turnips back to the pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat and make four wells in the cooked hash. Crack an egg into each well and season with pepper. Place the pan in the oven until eggs are just set, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove from oven, garnish with scallions and serve from the skillet with hot sauce or homemade pesto (optional).
- Alternatively, you could fry or poach the eggs in a separate pan or pot, and place on the hash for service.
- Don't Eat Bacon? You could substitute with tempeh bacon or a couple of sausages (chicken, turkey, etc.) cut into small cubes. If using tempeh bacon, I'd go with 6-8 slices. You'll need less cooking time in Step 3 and will have to add some olive oil to the pan before going on to Step 4.